You can now purchase almost everything online, including LED lights, fixtures, and control systems. The internet and the world of ecommerce has made new distribution channels available to everyone with lower product prices that reflect more efficient warehousing and delivery systems. LED lighting is a relatively new technology and, for many people, an untested and unfamiliar product with confusing industry terminology. Factory Direct LED, a leading online retailer of LED light bulbs and fixtures, has prepared this guide to help consumers to select and make online purchases of LED lights.
- LED’s and traditional incandescent lights are not equivalent products. If you are replacing incandescent bulbs with LED’s, you need to do more than swap a 60-watt incandescent bulb for a 60-watt LED. LED lights are significantly more efficient. A 10-watt LED light can generate the same amount of light (measured in “lumens”) as a 60-watt incandescent bulb. Make sure you order the correct bulb for each of your lighting applications.
- LED’s may not be equivalent with each other. LED lights are a complex and versatile technology. Two LED bulbs that are each rated to generate the same amount of lumens can emit very different types of light, for example, with one bulb creating a warmer form of light and the other leaving harsher or brighter illumination. Take time to understand the Kelvin light temperatures and color rendering indices of the LED lights you are considering, and select the bulbs with characteristics that best meet your needs.
- Use a trusted online supplier that has the expertise to provide the customer service that you want. Many online retailers of LED lights compete solely on the basis of price. With complex LED technology, the lowest-price LED light bulb is very probably not the best fit for all, or even a majority of applications. Choose a specialty online LED retailer that understands LED technology and the many different types of LED lights that are available for each specific application.
- Take time to plan and measure the area that you will illuminate with LED’s. You can find LED lights that have broad- or narrowly-targeted light dispersion patterns. An area that had been lit with a number of incandescent bulbs or fixtures might do just as well with a smaller number of LED’s. Moreover, LED’s are now much more a part of a design rather than just an afterthought that illuminates a design or layout. Before you place your online order, take a long, critical look at how and where you will install those lights.
- Think about how the spaces that you are illuminating will be used. Workspaces that see a lot of activity will do well with brighter lighting, while areas that are designed for relaxation (e.g. bedrooms) will have a better feel with warmer and softer lighting. Order different types of bulbs for different spaces as a function of how those spaces are utilized. Consider the physical size of the bulbs you are ordering and make sure that they fit existing light fixtures. When you order online, your online LED retailer will not have this knowledge. You need to incorporate this knowledge into your order.
Factory Direct LED has filled countless orders and has helped numerous customers to make the right decisions when they order LED lights online. For more information on how you can order the right LED’s for your lighting applications, please see our website. We are an online retailer that specializes in LED lighting technology and we have the knowledge and experience to guide you through your own decision process.