The adoption of new technology in any industry often runs into a number of common objections from all but the most ardent of early adopters. Resistance to new technology tends to be driven by fears that all the bugs have not yet been worked out of new systems or that subsequent generations of a new technology will feature significant improvements. Industry leaders who try to time the market might be tempted to wait until prices of new lighting technologies bottom out as manufacturers increase production and pass price savings on to consumers. The problem with this strategy is that LED technology continues to reach new heights of efficiency and innovation, raising standards as well as the urgency to adopt sooner rather than later but will provide reasons to invest in LED Lighting.
Here are our top 5 reasons to make the investment in LED today;
- Improved Visibility and Acuity. Architects and designers have long understood that not all lighting is created equal. They have used different types of lighting to create different environmental moods and to enhance certain design features over others. LED systems take this concept to a whole new level. LED lighting can be skewed into a whiter spectrum that provides enhanced visibility in commercial and residential settings, on roads and transportation corridors, and in sports arenas and playing fields. The benefits of switching to LED lighting in these settings are immediately noticeable and will give environments illuminated by LED lighting a competitive advantage over environments that are lit with traditional lighting systems.
- Enhanced Performance and Mood. Physiologists and scientists have performed extensive research on how different types of light can affect human mood and health. The human eye is particularly susceptible to the color blue, and lighting that incorporates blue wavelengths has been shown to suppress the metabolic production of melatonin, which is the hormone that contributes to drowsiness. Certain light wavelengths also increase the metabolic production of serotonin, which enhances an individual’s mood. LED lighting systems can be utilized to more effectively and efficiently generate these and other light wavelengths to affect and improve moods and overall health in both business and residential environments.
- Safety. Traditional incandescent lights dissipate up to 80% of the energy they consume as heat. Hotter, high-energy incandescent lights can be dangerous to touch and can pose a fire risk that is entirely absent from LED lighting systems. Additionally, LED systems do not include mercury or other toxins that might be found in traditional commercial lighting systems. They are low in UV emissions and pose little or no environmental risks when they reach the end of their life cycle.
- Cost Savings. The equipment and installation costs of LED lighting systems continue to decrease over older metal halide infrastructure, but the immediate cost savings of LED lighting systems can be realized in operation costs alone. LED systems can generate double-digit reductions in energy costs solely because of their enhanced efficiency profiles. Moreover, the lifespan of LED lighting systems will reduce everyday maintenance and replacement expenses.
- Environmentally Friendly Technology. The societal push toward the adoption of green energy systems continues to grow. Commercial entities that resist or delay the transition toward a reduced carbon footprint will find themselves at a disadvantage over competitors that do adopt new LED lighting systems and other eco-friendly products, both from a financial perspective and from a public relations stance.
These are the more significant reasons to invest in LED Lighting now, rather than later. At the end of the day, the technology is here and it’s saving your competitors thousands, if not millions, of dollars a year. It’s time for you to upgrade.